Here is a quick tutorial on how to add a automounted VirtualBox shared folder to Ubuntu without modifying the fstab.
- Boot the VM
- Goto Devices -> Shared Folders in VirtualBox
- Select Path and select the folder you’d like to share, then check Make Permanent and Automount. Then Ok.
- In terminal, run the command: sudo adduser your_username vboxsf
- Restart the VM
- Now you can access the shared folder in /media (i.e. /media/sf_sharename)
- Make a sym link to access the folder more easily: ln -s /media/sf_sharename share